Basic Marinara Sauce
This super easy tomato sauce recipe is a need to know! It is the base for so many Italian style dishes and tastes better than most store bought sauces. It freezes well if you make it ahead of time – boil your choice of pasta, add a protein, and you have a delicious home cooked Italian meal.
1 small onion, diced small
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
¼ cup Red wine (dry, full bodied is best)
2-3 tbs raw brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Prepare the tomatoes. Place them in a separate dish and either break them up with a vegetable masher (watch out for the juice!) or get your hands dirty and break them up gently by squeezing them through your CLEAN hands. Set aside.
2. Over medium heat, heat some olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 4-5mins or until the onion has softened.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, salt and pepper, and sugar.
4. Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh basil.
6. Taste, add more sugar, salt and pepper if needed.