A staple in our household! This recipe makes a huge serving - we always have plenty leftover to freeze for another meal on those night you just don't want to cook! Its a low fat, nutritious meal, super fast and SUPER quick to make.
1 lb ground beef or bison
1 medium onion (brown or red), chopped
2-4 tablespoons Chili seasoning powder, or 1 packet prepared seasoning
1 15oz can pinto beans, drained
1 15oz can black beans, drained
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1. In a separate bowl, break up the tomatoes with a vegetable masher or squeeze gently through a clean hand (watch out for the juice spray!).
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Add chopped onions and cook until they soften, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the meat and continue to break it up as it browns, about another 5 minutes.
5. Add the chili seasoning powder, stir well into the meat mixture. Then add both cans of beans, tomatoes, sugar.
6. Taste, add more spice, sugar, salt, pepper if necessary. If too thick, you can add a little water (if you do this you may need a little extra seasoning).
7. Serve as is or over rice, and add any of your favorite toppings – sour cream, grated cheese, avocado, blue corn chips, scallions, cilantro.